PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 08:21
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I had a b*gger of a Saturday. 30kts of wind and rain with a twenty kt crosswind component.

So my intructor said it was time to learn crosswind landings. We postponed things for half an hour to let a particularly nasty squall go over, then I did a crosswind takeoff with ailerons held into wind until lift off.

The turbulence below three hundred feet was severe. I was flying the circuit with about twenty degrees of offset to compensate for drift.

Delayed descent on final because you are crawling along at 75 kts making maybe 35 over the ground.

Only 20 degrees flap, crab to keep the centreline and then right wing down and left rudder to hold centreline.

The aircraft was blown about like a leaf on final, big changes of power and attitude needed. After three tries including one partial success and two go arounds I gave it back to the instructor as I felt my confidence going.

After another demonstration I did two more and that was that. Not easy, but obviously its a necessary skill otherwise your flying is goign to be severely limited.

Four other idiots were doing the same thing in the circuit.

White knuckle dry mouth stuff at the moment.