PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2004, 15:35
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hour 7

Today the mist that has been lingering around for a few weeks seemed to have finally buggered off, so we had a very good horizon to do turns. After a few more climbs and descents, my instructor begin to explain turns, explaining that a standard turn would involve a 30 degree bank (if not climbing or descending) and 15 degrees otherwise. I had read in the ex9 chapter, that because you are sat on the left, then you observe a different view out the cockpit when turning, because on a right turn you are higher, and on a left turn you are lower - the difference of the nose being above or below the horizon was actually quite significant, and without the use of the VSI or if you had no knowledge of the subject, then it would be very easy to gain/lose altitude in a turn.

I performed a few 360 degree turns at 30 degrees level, both left and right, then some more turns whilst climbing/descending, only using 15 degrees. The controls become much more sloppy at slower airspeeds, so it becomes more difficult to maintain a good attitude if the aircraft is not trimmed properly.

I was also shown how to perform the missed approach (not near the airfield). The procedure is to apply full power, pitch nose up to best angle climb (65kts), once level flight is obtained, reduce flap to stage 1, once 200 has passed, obatin best rate of climb at 70kts and resume. Seems pretty straight forward. My instructor actually had to perform one in the previous lesson to me, so maybe thats the reason why he shown me at this point.

Today we flew south over Cheshire instead of north - the weather was excellent with some beautiful cloud formations, very sunny indeed. I have made extensive use of the radios today, making most of the calls. The sky was very busy, at one point there was a kit helicopter at 200ft to our right, which wasnt even on the radio. Someone taxiing saw something hanging off one of the 737's about to take off, so that was delayed at the holding point whilst it was checked, lots of radio activity which is all good for learning. Landing was very smooth and I was quite pleased with the way it went, this time I held it a lot more before touching down, just letting the stall warner go off - very good feeling when it goes well

Got MET exam on Wednesday so will be reading for that. Next lesson is on Friday.

Have a nice week and safe flying,

Lee

p.s check out the Liverpool thread in the bashes forum in the misc section, been trying to get a few people together.