PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FAA to JAA conversion rules?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2004, 15:29
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keygrip - Fair point, I should have referred only to FTOs providing modular training, I was trying not to get lost in too much detail. The Lufthansa, Sabena and KLM operations are all satellites of FTOs approved in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, respectively. All are training only for "all or part of the integrated ATP course" as permitted by Appendix 1b to JAR-FCL 1.055. The vested interests of the airlines concerned will probably ensure that integrated training outside the JAA continues.

It is modular training by FTOs with their main place of business in the JAA that is not permitted by JAR-FCL, such as that provided by OAT, CCAT, Comed and AFT. Modular training by FTOs with their main place of business outside the JAA is permitted by JAR-FCL, with a number of provisos, although no state is obliged to approve non-JAA FTOs. The lack of enthusiasm shown by member states (other than the UK) to undertake approval of these organisations is notable. Mind you, the last I heard the UK had not processed any new applications from non-JAA FTOs for over two years, despite having received over 20. This may, or may not, have something to do with the impending impact of EASA.

I also hear that a number of US-based organisations got a particularly vicious savaging from the CAA in this year's inspection round, amid suspicion that there is a hidden agenda to cut back on 'overseas' approvals.