PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Core Category A?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2004, 05:27
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread.

I also agree with Nick & Gomer - spend money where it will save the most lives - reducing CFIT. I think the current twin engine balance is close to being correct: the manufacturers produce PC1 capable aircraft that can have the payload and fuel load increased to make into a PC2 or even PC3 (ie AS355F1!). Then it is purely up to the operator/customer to decide upon their own acceptable level of risk exposure. In this I totally disagree with FLI. It should NOT be up to the manufacturer to economically restrict some operations by only creating aircraft with full PC1 at all times.

It is simple: operate to the appropriate risk exposure you are willing to accept AND pay for. If that means you have 5 people to transport with PC1 risk, then you will have to get out of your AS355 and pay for a 412. If you have 13 people for a PC1 op, then get out of your 412 and into the 332. Because if we all wanted to have MORE range, MORE payload, MORE power it is going to cost MORE money, and the operators who can accept exposure become economically unviable.

I would argue then, that we already have the right balance. If you want PC1, fly with the published weights, and if you can accept more exposure (during a sling load, or clear area take off) then you can take more weight and increase the flexibility of the machine.

Sorry, a PS:

Nick, I know you are probably sick of additions to the question about what pilots want in their next helicopter, but here is one that may fit nicely into this thread - a fuel dump. I have operated with one on the Black Hawk and I thought it was the bees knees. A quick flick of the switch and you are jettisoning 836lbs/min!! We even amended the emergency checklist for OEI emergencies to include this action as Sikorsky hadn\'t. What a wonderful tool - and I wonder what impact it would have on the issues raised in this thread?

It would not help your tail-to-side issues of Pete M, but it would really help in your flyaway! Imagine it fitted to the less PC1 capable twins like the AS355, B212, BK117, etc. Flick that baby on and try to miss the ground for the next 30 secs - minute or so, and viola 400 KG closer to PC1. Arrive OEI overhead your landing area, and flick that switch so you can avoid endless circuits waiting for your weight to become acceptable. Messed up your drift down height and need another thousand feet? Flick it on to get lighter!

PS: I should explain to that the suck pipe of the fuel dump does not go to the bottom of the fuel tank, but is cut off several inches above the bottom so that if you do forget and leave it activated, the worse case scenario it can leave you with is 20 mins fuel remaining. Obviously not a consideration at your take off and landing point - but quite critical if you do it enroute over water or tiger country