PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe question
Thread: Flybe question
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 21:27
A Nonny Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alt Cap: As far as we have been briefed, the end of touch down lights only apply to jets (and even they regularly seem to overlook them). About 8 years ago, there was a rumour going around, spread by paranoid pilots that a/c were being filmed on landing, and that those touching down past the lights would be in trouble. We have never had so many go-arounds before or since!!! It turned out the film crew were from the FAA doing a study of carrier landings

I worked throughout the Lufthansa period and was working the day that the Q400 was certified (chief pilot Wally Warner flying I believe) and cannot remember one single tail strike or even anything close to it - maybe I was just lucky on my shifts. I have also watched them land in the most horrific weather - cross wind from the south with gusts up to 40kts, and they seemed no worse than anything else. In fact they seemed more stable than some of the regulars such as the D328.

The big headache with the Q400 is parking, and if our peak morning hours filled up with them the current max runway utilisation of 32 per hour would dry up due to the taxiway being blocked.

prob30: I was always led to believe that the Wharf was of no real significance as it was 3 miles away, and by then you would hopefully be able to turn away. More worrying to pilots I have spoken to is the old Mill building about 0.5 miles in the climbout of 28, just slightly to the south!

In an ideal world all flights out of City would be operated by VLM and Scotair, and we would be happy as larry