PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin @ Port Harcourt
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 15:33
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Virgin @ Port Harcourt

I just did a flight on Virgin from Port Harcourt to LGW as my company couldn't get me out through Lagos due to all flights being fully booked.
The flight (when you are finally allowed to board it) was the usual high standard, same as from any other airport.
The airport on the other hand is an absolute nightmare. It is literally a cattle market, with all sorts of people wandering about in the check in area, non passengers just looking around, touts, so-called security, armed police etc.
The airport is the standard design used for all regional airports in Nigeria and cannot possibly cope with an Airbus 340 load of people trying to check in and wait etc, especially with the lack of security and planning.
My passport was "closely" scrutinised seven times, my bag (hand baggage only) was opened and emptied four times, the last occasion being when I was at the end of the passage leading to the aircraft, and I was asked for "dash" more times than I can remember.
It reminded me of Lagos Airport 10 years ago. Lagos has improved 1000 %, and I'm trying to change my return booking to route there instead of P.H. as another passenger told me he spent 5 hours explaining every item in his bag to Customs last time he arrived at P.H.
I've been working in Nigeria for 12 years and have travelled on all the major airlines at on time or another, but in spite of the good standard on board I really think Virgin should try to put some pressure on the airport management to improve the check in and waiting facilities.
I was travelling on Upper Class. In Lagos we get to use the first class lounge which is very nice, with all the trimmings (free drinks, food etc) you would expect. In P.H. it is the VIP lounge, which was severely overcrowded and has only a few very tired sofas for furniture. The air conditioning could not even come close to coping with the cram of people.
My advice, if you intend going to Nigeria on Virgin, is to use the LHR -Lagos route.