PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet cabin allowance - in reality?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 15:03
EasyBaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having hand luggage in the cabin is a saftey risk, you cannot say otherwise. I think the details of the British Midland 737 crash higlighted that. One one section of overhead locker remained, the rest split emptying the contents over the heads of the pax, killing many and impeading their exit.

I know for a pax point of view its deemed great as they dont need to wait for luggage at the carousel, and they can shoot staight off. But they weight the luggage is a concern. They are allowed to take almost a limitless amount on board as long as they can lift it into the locker.
I have already had standing arguments with pax who have packed their entire lives into their bags. And when i tell them its for saftey they scoff.

Personally they should do away with the overhead bins and only be allowed to take on luggage that fits under their seat. At least that way it would stop lockers emptying onto pax heads.

although i work in the industry and do have an insight to what can happen when it goes wrong, i still won't take anything into the cabin than my shoulder bag that carries nothing more than a magazine, mobile (switched OFF) some sweets and the generall non discript items that fall to the bottom!! Only because i would hate to think that it was my bag that injured someone.

Anyway happy flying
Wear your hard hats!!

EB