PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ba 777 Full Evacuation In Iah
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 14:55
apaddyinuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mick...

i think your a typical example of someone who doesnt really appreciate what you have just gone through and I am also curious as to why saw the CSD in a Hi-vis when Iv since asked a colleague who was one of the crew if the csd had one..which he didnt...As mentioned by Worldwidelad...BA do not use hi-vis jackets unlike some airlines, it is proceedure to use the Day-glo hats.
Also, we are trained to only block an exit if there is visible reasons not to open, eg fire and smoke...If the door was opened near the engine in question then it may have been possible that the smoke wasnt considered dense enouigh to safely impede the safe evacuation of the passengers...I know I for one would not send lemmings down a chute into a burning inferno.
And try not to be so sensationalist by saying that you are one of the "SURVIVORS"!!!! That implies there were fatalities and is an insult to not only the other passengers onboard but also the crew of the aircraft that safely got you off in one piece.
I do however apologise that you had to experience this on BA but I do hope that our overall safety proceedures would be a reason why you would chose BA above other airlines again in the future.
As for why did the crew stay with the passengers...this is normal...It helps to alleviate the nerves amongst the passengers if the crew stick around and console eachother. Remember, cabin and flight crew have a duty of care and this could not be more apparent then in a situation like this and that continues even on to the aftermath.
The crew did a truly magnificent job and are a credit to Gatwick Worldwide and indeed British Airways.