PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2002-2008)
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 09:47
Ausbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Kenyan scene

Kenya still lacks enough pilots to fill it's demand though like every other country and it's aviation sector this fluctuates like a yoyo. Years ago you could turn up there with a bare CPL and land a job easily but these days it's not that simple. As a foreigner you are more likely to land a job if you arrive with about 1000 hours most of which is in command. It's not guaranteed though! To renew the license once you have it they send your files off to the immigration office to obtain a letter of no objection. The only country in the world that I am aware of where your renewal is dependant on the immigration approval???? It's a risk but in my mind still worth it especially if you can land a job working for one of the operators with a UN contract and you don't intend to live there for more than a few years. Don't misinterpret my words though, I strongly believe they should grant their own pilots jobs before the foreigners (just as we all like to see in our own countries) but once that has exhausted itself then why not!