PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to journalists
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 03:38
BrisBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enema,

I gave up thinking in terms of left wing/right wing a long time ago. What I do believe is what can be substantiated. You should not discard what John Pilger writes just because of a preconception any more than I should believe everything he says just because I have found a great deal of fact and reason in his writing in the past.
Remember our CRM training. It’s not who’s right, it’s what’s right.

These forums I feel are an excellent example of argument standing on merit. In the VOR/Dick Smith debate it was easy to cut through self - serving propaganda, erroneous information, diversions and irrelevance. A well reasoned argument backed up by fact shines through every time.
It is the content of a post that counts. If this is applied to the media then you can replace pre - disposed prejudices of left/right with a simple is it true or is it crap.

Over the last fifteen years I have spent a great deal of time living and now just working overseas. I have missed much of what has gone on at home.
I was under the impression that in our history there was a time when young part Aboriginal children were taken from their parents and placed in special purpose institutions or foster homes. As a parent I cannot even begin to imagine how I would feel if this were to happen to me. I also understand that this government practice was not one of malicious intent, however I still believe it occurred.
Enema, you intimate that this is a myth and then just shut up. Just because you say something or a President, Prime Minister or anyone else says something does not necessarily make it correct, or for that matter incorrect.
This is where balanced and accurate journalism is essential.

There are many, many incredible journalists. I have the upmost respect for someone who takes the time and in some instances almost super human effort to report accurately. Some can ride around in humvees getting fed and reporting horse**** whilst others uncover a lie with a serial number.
Unfortunately in far too many cases we have to by pass our mainstream media to find the latter.

PS : Enema, from these pages I gain the impression that the aviation employment scene in Australia is far from healthy. I also know from personal experience that there are many good jobs overseas. I can thoroughly recommend the move for both career advancement and personal development.
Perhaps when it is your turn to be the wop, the wog, the spic, the round eye, the white devil or the mongrel you may just develop a little compassion for the plight of other human beings on this planet.