PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leeds Aviation Course
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2004, 18:01
pre3mhjt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as a part of the course directly, no. It is a PPL that is gained by the end of the third year (hopefully the end of the second year tho) However the theory that is taught in the second and third years go a long way to taking you to the point at which you would be able to leave and take the ATPL exams with considerable confidence.

There arent many unis offering this degree, its a BSc (not a BEng), in AVIATION TECHNOLOGY. The engineering courses tend to be, by their very nature, much more mathematical etc.....good for some I spose?! The Leeds course focuses much more on the actual flying and HOW to fly the plane, the BEng, correct me if Im wrong, focuses on the ins and outs of WHY the plane flys. Although we learn this also, it is not in as much depth.

A big reason Im at Leeds is baecause at the time I believed, and still do believe, that it is the only one of this type in the country. Sheffield were talkin about starting one soon tho I think as Leeds is heavily over subscribed.

The UCAS directory should list all the aviation courses tho, engineering or otherwise....I remember Southampton and Coventry did areonautical engineering... sorry i cant help anymore than that. I did look at all those courses, but decided that a hands on flying course sounded much more attractive to me.