PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to journalists
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2004, 12:47
BrisBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Australican, Chumbu chuckles!!
For me it would have to be an incredibly magnanimous mood.
As a birthday gift last time round my wife gave me “The Murdoch Archipelago” by Bruce Page. I would recommend it on those days the aforementioned ‘newspaper’ is a little too much to stomach.

When a journalist boards an aircraft he/she as a member of the general public expects the crew to operate that aircraft to the highest possible standards. Is it too much to expect that the same apply when a journalists work is reviewed?

tsnake, it is some time since we last crossed paths in this forum and had the pleasure of exchanging views. Unfortunately now, like then, perhaps we must agree to disagree.
Whilst appreciating the unique pressures associated with journalism I still believe that one principle above all else should be observed. Just as pilots cannot ever compromise on safety, journalist should never compromise on truth.
I have an immense amount of respect for many journalists, and perhaps I could give two examples.
During the invasion and war in Iraq (sometime between “Let’s Roll” and “Mission Accomplished”!) a market was hit by a missile with loss of life and injuries suffered by innocents. The official spin at the time went along the lines that this was an Iraqi missile somehow gone wrong.
Robert Fisk to his credit refused to be ‘embedded’ or report the official line from The Bubble. He went to the market, spoke to the people and recovered pieces of metal from the ordinance. Incredibly he found the serial number of the device and immediately dispelled the official line.
Robert Fisk reported the truth.
The truth may not be what I would like to hear, or match my political persuasion, views, or slant.
However the truth is what I WANT to hear.

John Pilger in his book “A Secret Country” provided an amazing insight into graft and corruption in the chapter on “Mates”. Among the individuals mentioned were some of the lowest scum this earth has ever produced. In the thread where we last debated, an astute respondent accurately observed that had Pilger’s account been any less than completely factual he would have been sued for libel. Abeles, Murdoch, Hawke et al remained uncharacteristically silent.

Many other cases of amazing diligence, such as incalculable hours spent sorting through declassified CIA documents or chasing leads with unimaginable tenacity have led to the truth exposed, but sadly we need to bypass our mainstream media to be aware of this.

Unfortunately, tsnake, far too many Australian journalists instead of pursuing their honourable profession with skill and integrity float like flotsam on the Murdoch tide.