PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Scandic DC10s
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2004, 10:13
Ron Glum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A300s are leaving at the beginning of Nov. D checks are required and there is still the problem with training and the sim. They seem to know their time is up as currently suffering a lot of technical problems.
Myt DC10-30 is apparently coming Scandics way with current crews being retrained plus I believe at some stage a small amount of external recruitment. The amount of which will depend on when and if a second aircraft arrives.
Rumours are also floating around that Scandic will fly its own B757s next year. This year the wet leased 75s have been doing a lot of flying so having their own would seem to make sense. If this does happen, to me it would be more sensible to have 767s instead of the DC10 because of commonality of types and type rating and therefore reduced costs etc etc. What does concern me about the DC10 is reliability. Remember Excalibur?? I'm sure the lease costs are low but then surely the running costs will be high - maintenance and reliability due age, crew costs (3 man crew), fuel burn, future noise restrictions. Finally will the customer actually like flying on it. As per 'carsurvey.org' the modern 757s seem to be popular while the A300s not . At the end of the day the passenger is your bread and butter.
We'll see what happens.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Glum; 13th Aug 2004 at 10:49.