PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey University School Of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2004, 04:37
self

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Massey 10 years ago, did the BAv and all of my flying training up to CPL/ IR.
I now fly for an Australian regional airline.

I found it overall to be a good course with a well integrated program. As always, the hard work begins when you leave school, and I spent many years working my way through GA to get this far, and will continue to progress thanks to my determination. I think the reason that there aren't many Massey graduates working in the industry is that they didn't put in the hard yards after they left.
Contrary to some of the beliefs in this forum, I was well aware before I graduated that I would be starting at the bottom of the industry, being told this by my lecturers and instructors during the course.

I did find during my years at Massey that the Kiwi aviation industry was very resistant to the idea of a degree program. I moved to New Zealand from Australia when I was 17 to do the Massey course, choosing it over a number of degree courses in Australia, due to the relevance of the degree subjects and their emphasis on CRM training. The CRM subjects in particular were ahead of their time, and pilots I work with now are learning the concepts that I studied 10 years ago for the first time.

I also found that while the Kiwis would bad mouth Massey at every opportunity, " rich kids school, doesn't teach you anything blah blah " the Australian industry, and the employers most importantly were positive about it. So maybe all you Massey graduates should come over here!

I must qualify that I went to Massey 10 years ago, and things could be different now, I haven't followed the progress of the school. But I do think that potential students should bear in mind that there is a whole world of flying jobs out there, where your degree would be appreciated, if you choose to study there.