PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A dream too far
Thread: A dream too far
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2004, 18:03
Andy_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud69 you are obviously unaware of how much can be earned as a licenced taxi driver in a city like Edinburgh or London. I drive a cab for money and work as a flying instructor for pleasure - although I enjoy working as a cabbie and get paid to instruct, those are the priorities which each occupation fulfills amply
I am totally aware of how much London and the large cities like Edinburgh cabbies earn.

Yes, I have the option to move there, but I didn't intend on doing this as a career, the need to earn and family commitments has kept me here for the moment. Clearly I have chosen the wrong place to live as the South Coast is full of people with huge mortgages and small disposable incomes, whereas up North it does seem easier to earn more as the public have more to spend on luxuries such as taxi journeys. Plus our council (yes I own a LICENSED taxi company) set ludicrously low rates, far lower than London and Edinburgh. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO THE MAJORITY OF THE COUNTRY so my point that one would be better off with a manual job (or driving lorries as mad-jock refers to) stands.

Unless you live in a large city and want to go through all the knowledge tests then steer well clear of taxi driving and earn that money through other means.

There are now too many people with a university background IMHO, and with no real experience of life, and as a rule very little common sense and wherewithall to survive in todays competitive climate.
Additionally there is still too much emphasis on job title in the heirarchy of life. If you are prepared to go out and work it shouldn't mtter what you do. At the end of the day if it is providing a means to an end who gives a stuff??

And quite frankly those that don't believe what is available out there moneywise for doing relatively menial work have never had to try and find it. I shall now duck

Hear hear.

Too many people worried about what others will think. Too many too young to know better unfortunately.

Last edited by Andy_R; 12th Aug 2004 at 18:14.