PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2004, 15:37
JONSV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1,

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really think you understand what I mean.

Your post is full of wistful wishes of a glamourous lifestyle and foreign travel. My point is; thats exactly what I thought it would be, and I was nowhere near the reality.

You said

Flying for a living is not a job - it's a way of life
That's wrong. It's a JOB that TAKES OVER your life.

Some of your points are exactly right, it's a good job compared to some, and well paid. But it's a job nonetheless. It's a tiring one, a thankless one, an unhealthy one, a VERY insecure one, a very stressful one and sometimes a destructive one.

I have done some crappy jobs, albeit as a student, and I have many friends who do crap jobs for £11k a year. I count myself lucky in that sense, but I do not consider myself to be lucky just because I'm a pilot.

Six years ago I was that dreamer who sat and read things like I've just written, green with envy, sick with the craving for the high life, and in complete denial that what I saw could possibly be the truth. I think a lot of people know where I'm coming from.

expedite_climb

I have done long european night flights, ones where you sit on the ground for 2 hrs before going back. I personally find going from lates with one day off then 5 pre-7am checkins in a row which total 12 sectors (4 sectors in $hite wx checking in at 0500 local, madness) and 40 duty hours considerably more tiring.

And thats all year round.