Zoltan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Requirements - CAA what a joke

The SACAA requirements for a ATPL is (as I`m sure you all know ) :

1500 hrs total
250 hrs command
100 hrs night
75 hrs IF

Now whe all know that co-pilot time on a medium category A/C only counts half towards a higher licence, 1/2 hr command for every 1 hr flown as P2 , fare enough. So surely this should apply to the 200 hr command requirement ? Why else put it in ? ( Maybe its just me , but that sounds quite logical )

When confronting CAA with this its just the normal " co-pilot hrs count 1/2 towards the 1500 TT " what a crock of .....

They give pilots with 1500 hrs instruction, not even touching the controls and spending a good portion of that in the circuit, and wait for this, IN THE RIGHT HAND SEAT, a ATPL license without blinking twice ?? ( Nothing against the instructors out there, after all without you guys none of us would be here, its just a matter of principal, my opinion)

I should think hands on experience in actual conditions should count for the total 1500. Fair enough to sacrifice a 150 hrs from your TT to make up the command time, after all you did pick up good command skills if you had the priveladge to fly with an experienced Captain.

All bitter words I know, but this is bugging lots of guys out there. Well just have to wait for that magical 3000 hr mark I gues....

Fly safe

Bubblewrap