PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When push comes to shove (Jetstar)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2004, 12:20
sinala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Pointy Ender, I must mention that I would much rather wear the uniform of old - jacket with stripes, shirt with eppaulettes, tie, and polished shoes, with a peaked cap.... It's NOT a snobby thing, it's a sign of authority
Agreed! I too wish we got to wear a jacket and tie in the cabin - I have to say that I think the QF Black suit is very nice, very professional!

especially with the VERY attractive hosties they usually employ
Sorry to say tho, I am not a member of that group of "very attractive hosties" you speak of - I am a guy!

As I mentioned, in the case of a ditching, or crash, where is the "authority figure" that is so obvious with a properly uniformed FA?
Agreed again that uniform can/will often be the "authority figure" that you speak of, but authority is also about the way a person exerts themself. I feel pretty confident that even if I was naked I could evacuate the cabin with a similar (if not exact same) level of efficiency as I would in full uniform (and no thats not taking into account pax running and screaming and pointing and laughing at me!!! ) I am fairly sure that my commands and assertiveness would be just as audible and obeyed if I was wearing a black tshirt and pants, and the pax had seen me wearing that all flight, and had interacted with me already in an FA role - I personally think that they would identify me and my crew as being authority figures. All that said though, I am not denying the positive effects of an immediately identifiable uniform - just look at firemen/police officers for example - everyone recognises them, and sees them as figures of safety/authority.