PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - mam forum
Thread: mam forum
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2004, 06:52
SydGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tess,

First up, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your full time position in order to take up a casual position with MAM. Remember, your employment is on a casual basis only and with MAM, not Qantas - you can advise MAM of when you are available to work and you will only be allocated duties within those dates. The majority of MAM crew that I know have a full time/part time job that will pay the bills in case your work with MAM won't.

In addition to the above, what would happen if you gave up your full time job, went through the training school (assuming you pass, many don't!) and got to be an FA only to discover you actually don't like the job. It happens more than you would think!

I don't know how many hours the BNE based MAM crew are getting but my biggest advice is don't let it rule your life. MAM is casual so there are no 'guaranteed' hours, some weeks you may be working full time, others you may get only 2 or 3 hours. 2 hours a week will not pay the mortgage.

MAM employees are not able to apply for any QF positions internally, ie CSMs. If you want to be a CSM then you need to be a permanent QF FA first. To go to longhaul you must either be a permanent QF employed shorthaul FA and be on a transfer list, or apply directly for entry as a longhaul FA.

QF is currently accepting applications for longhaul FAs on a contract basis. There is no guarantees that the contract will be extended or crew will be employed on a permanent basis.

Tread carefully.
Good Luck!
SG