PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA now recruiting A320/737/757/767/777/747
Old 10th Aug 2004, 23:31
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If BA planned for the future, the cadet scheme would still be running. I would be inclined to agree that it is unlikely that any future scheme would be fully sponsored as in the past, although there are no current plans.

In answer to who will be in a long haul command in 30 years time, assuming I have to work to 60 (God forbid), the answer is ME (having by then been a long haul Captain for 20 ish years). I am quite young (barely 30) and quite senior therefore I am quite lucky. However there are many people who are about my seniority or slightly senior to me who are YOUNGER. They will be long haul Captains for LONGER than me.

BA isn't a bad place to be by any means. Roster stability is excellent and the money is reasonable, if you ignore the pension. There are some points to bear in mind though:

- If you are close to a command in your current company, decide how important a command is to you. If you come to BA, it will not happen for a loooonnnngggg time and if you're over 30, perhaps not at all, certainly on longhaul.

- You are looked down upon by the rest of the company, including your own management.

It just does not work like that. Bottom for 3 years, middle for 3, top for 3, maybe. Anywhere above the bottom 15% of any fleets seniority list will get you a trip line, and then with so many people bidding with so many objectives most people always get close to what they are looking for. The top of the list almost involves writing your own roster. And THEN you get your command having enjoyed some pretty goood years topping your respective list.
On shorthaul perhaps. The top of the list (realistically top 10% at best) involves writing your own roster. Once out of the blind lines, your bid will be no better than a blind line until you're out of the bottom 25-30%. At that point you will (probably) achieve your days off but don't expect to get any decent trips.

Like I said, my brethren will be longhaul captains for 15 to 20 years, however it will take potentially another 10 years for us to achieve those commands. Until we do, and we are many, we will mostly be at the top of the longhaul co-pilots lists.

Please join us, the opportunities remain although they have diminished over the past few years (particularly the regions). Just join with your eyes open.