PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A dream too far
Thread: A dream too far
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2004, 21:15
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I 'was' trying to be motivational, g.e., in my own abrasive and obnoxious kind of way

You just can't get take it personally and get all heart broken over this whole sponsorship thing, for the simple reason that there are literally hundreds, and in some cases thousands, of incredibly highly suitable people applying for every available place. You may be Chuck Yeager himself but it's a chance in a million at the end of the day.

However, there are very few people who can't drag themselves up by their own bootstraps and get themselves into flying, the old fashioned work-for-peanuts, beg-plead-scrounge-for-flying-hours, kiss-ass and sell-your-soul-to-the-devil way. In fact it's still the only way in most countries, where the mere concept of an airline 'sponsoring' someone through their training is completely laughable.

If you wouldn't work in Mcdonalds in order to pursue your flying dream, well bully for you, I'm very glad that it all worked out for you without you having to get your lily white hands dirty. But if you do ever pitch up at my airline, I'd advise you not to go making grand statements like that, especially not to the handful of young guys and girls that work in our ops department loading freight at 5 am and doing flight plans and sweeping hangar floors and making coffee for the boss while they patiently knock out their ATPLs and hope that it all works out for them in a year or two. Because they would crawl across broken glass to be in your privileged position ...