PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Training
Thread: ATPL Training
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2004, 19:50
Colin2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Training

Hi,
Can anyone who knows a bit about training for an Air Transport Pilots License please suggest the best method to get there?

I am 17 years old and currently awaiting AS-Levels results. I have always had a deep passion for aviation and I am determined to reach my ultimate goal of an ATPL. I already have some aeronautical background having been a member of the ATC for three years, a member of the BMFA for the past four years and I have had a few lessons in both powered aircraft and gliders.

Its now coming up to decision time about university and I am totally confused about what to do. I am doing AS-levels in chemistry, biology, maths & geography and will probbaly keep all four onto a-level. The main problem is should I go through university and get a degree and then go into pilot training or go straight to pilot training at the younger age which is probably preferable to the airlines.

What are the main entry routes? I know I would probably not be able to self-fund the £60k training costs - is airline sponsorship the only other method?

I have emailed as many UK airlines as I know and the majority no longer do scholarship schemes after September 11th. Does anyone know of any which still do?
Does anyone know what academic qualifications they normally request for these schemes? I currently have 11 GCSEs at A/A*

I do really want to be an airline pilot and I am determined to get there but it just seems like the imossible at the moment.

Any advice is very much appreciated.