PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A dream too far
Thread: A dream too far
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2004, 17:45
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry 'great expectations' but I disagree

I think the guy should go ahead and quit.

Because to be honest redmania my friend, if you're the kind of person that packs their bags and gives up on their great lifelong dream simply because you didn't win the great sponsorship lottery on the first attempt, then you are not going to be cutting much mustard on MY flight deck on that proverbial dark and stormy night when everything has failed and it all looks dark and dreadful and we are spearing towards that hill at 400 kts ... successful pilots don't EVER give up. They look and assess and make hard decisions and laterally think their way out of seemingly insurmountable problems.

Furthermore, if you also display the basic lack of grace to come and whinge on an internet bulletin board looking for sympathy, when the great majority of people here are all in the process of slaving their guts out / working all the hours that god sends in crap menial jobs / washing planes / working in ops / hanging round airports / saving a few quid a week towards their PPLs / remortgaging their houses / their mum & dad's houses / their mate's houses / their cars / anything else they've got that isn't nailed down ... all so they can get on with pursuing their own dreams ... then to be honest not only do you not deserve anyone's sympathy, but it will be a bloody travesty of justice if you ever DO get a farkin sponsorship and beat some of these other incredibly hard working people to that airline hot seat.

You want advice here it is: get yourself together, pull your finger out, go apply for a Mcdonald's assistant manager's position, move into a crap flat with some flying instructors and start saving £100 a week towards your PPL and your ATPL theory subjects. Do that for a year or two and then go back to your bank manager with the proof of your convictions. He'll pay for the rest, guarantee it