PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sax/link?
Thread: Sax/link?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2004, 06:49
SubsonicMortal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gimbal

I share in your frustration just as well as any other new "politically disadvantaged" individuals. I.e, that would be the ones who are perfectly fit and qualified to fly for any of the airlines in SA. However, reality goes that we live in a time where your (hard obtained) qualifications and even experience, do not matter that much if the selection board lodges your name in the slot labeled "previously ADVANTAGED".

Nobody ever said this game, or the game played in any other profession for that matter, will be a fair one. You just gotta make the best of the cards in your hand.

I does appear as if you did not make a selection in the past. However, I have heard a number of success stories of guys who went back for a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd interview and ended up getting accepted. I'm going on assmption here now so forgive me if I'm wrong, but if in the past you did NOT make a selection, don't burn your bridges mate. That doesn't mean it's game over.

As far as your assumption on my present job being thanks to sucking up to higher authority, GROW UP pal. You do not know who I am and what steps it took to get into the seat I'm currently in. I worked my ass off and spent a long time walking cv's into offices for a face to face application/update. I'm still not flying a jet in SA with a hundred passengers in the back but I feel lucky to have the job I've got and intend to keep working hard until I do end up in the airline seat. And the best thing is, I don't have "contacts" in the clubs who can reccommend me. I have built up relations to those in offices purely by walking my cv in on a regular basis. I made sure that I acquire every possible written qualification there is for a pilot in the CAA exam syllabes and had "something new" with every second walk in. THAT's what got me my current job. Never underestimate the power of hard work.

Good luck pal.