PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin to start Perth - Broome
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2004, 16:00
WALLEY2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skywest Broome-Darwin is going very well, as stated 75% or around that and during school breaks etc You can not get on. Broome-Perth is not as strong but well above a break even level and heading towards 70%

Most satisfying is that Airnorth numbers are still very good Broome-Kunnunurra.

Yes, BME a/p has over 1000 pax movements per day, QF is still the main player and on their routes they are doing very well, all are performing well above their break even point.

The effect on Broome of this plus Virgin?

good ones are:

Small business is booming
Builders are building
tourism options are increasing with Kimberley add-ons
Return tourist rate is still exceptional
Jobs are increasing
New schools private and public and other gov services

bad ones

Real estate up 45% yes 45% in price in 18 months(makes first home buyers face $350,000 new and not much under $300,000).
Traffic on key roads is high though they will hang the first person who suggests a traffic light!! However new roads and upgrades are under construction.
Airport $8,000,000 upgrade to cope for next 10 yrs may only cope for 5yrs.

It is still Broome no building over 10m. No houses(3 existing) along the prestine coast-18km. Broome colours, sunsets and Broometime-relax feeling still there.

I am not positive but I think VB can expand the market though yield on QF and XR will fall. VB will, I think, go daily at the start of next season. This is not a problem if accom is expanding, already I am advised the Road Traffic is down on last year, I think it is the bus market that may be most effected.

For this year as the last-caravan-overflow-option the A/P spare land was not required. Yet every one is having their best season ever.

Well that is the picture, I have never seen anything like it. Though I suspect Cairne's boom was bigger, and Broome needs and will be restrained from the excesses that to some spoilt that product.

I think the A/C VB is using replaces the ADL-PER flight, is this correct?

ps I am sure ,if you asked him, Sadams information minister is just taking a short holiday and enjoying the personal attentions the staff have been kind enough to heap upon him. Though the view could be improved upon.

Last edited by WALLEY2; 9th Aug 2004 at 16:11.