PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 9th Aug 2004, 15:28
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a debate here not long ago regarding ATPL and Degree. Personally speaking, I don't think they are comparable in the sense that degrees are supposed to be about understanding concepts, identifying weaknesses and coming up with new ways of looking at things. At least that what degrees were supposed to be about.

ATPLs, although difficult, and I wouldn't want to tackle them ever again, not least that exam week for module 1 at BGS, require learning facts and figures, and understanding them. They don't require the other element that should be found in a degree: the new way of looking at the problems/issues.

However, not being involved in degrees these days, and being guilty of perceiving that degrees are dumbed-downed versions, closer to the difficulty of A-Levels in the 1960's, then I would say ATPLs should at least register on a degree-type scale.

But, having said what I said in an earlier post, I couldn't care less if it was or wasn't.

(Running for cover from those with their newly polished degree certificates)