PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 9th Aug 2004, 12:21
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Their website hasn't been up for a long while, so I'm not sure of their status. However, "Commander Chuck" is NOT a CFI and you are flying a commercial operation. There have been some debate as to how to interpret some aspects of the regulation, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is NOT kosher.

Also, here is some information as to why it is ILLEGAL to "fly for free" concerning ferry trips and other items. If you do something like that (i.e. BoatPix), you better pay and you better do it with a CFI who is providing flight instruction. Thanks to CJ for providing the following example:

Chief Cousnel Opinion

A private pilot, who flew skydivers for free, received a 45 day suspension. The skydivers paid the skydiving club for instruction, and therefore, the FAA and the NTSB found that the flights were for compensation or hire, and that the pilot's ability to log the time can be viewed as compensation. The NTSB specifically rejected the pilot's argument that his free flight time could be excused as "sharing expenses." Administrator v. Rawlins, EA-4583 (1997)

If a pilot gains any economic advantage, not just the receipt of money, from the operation of an aircraft, the FAA may take the position that he is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft for compensation or hire. An example would be the ferrying of aircraft for no charge to build up flight hours.