PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 9th Aug 2004, 09:22
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too spent five long years at Uni, and I got a lucky break when I left, got a good job, and earn a decent wage to fund the flying. yes, I had a good time, signed up to the military when there, and met some good mates, but I didn't need a university to give me those things. I tell everyone today that it is a waste of time, especially if you go there thinking it is some ticket to a better future. Everyone and their mother goes to Uni today, and so there just aren't the jobs that pay those sought after salaries that most graduates think they are owed. In my company today, we have countless graduates doing admin and secretarial work, all conned into thinking that the three/four years at Uni was some sort of ticket to executive riches. Some of these guys/gals are in their late 20's, some in their early 30's. Speaking with them they are all very worried that their lives are slipping away, that they won't get the breaks they need. I find it very depressing.

If you are going to do studying for x-number of years to fund that licence, become a plumber, electrician, carpenter. You'll never be out of work, you'll always have skills people need, and you will absolutely always have something to fall back on.