PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moral Dilemma: What the Hell is going on in Ryanair?
Old 8th Aug 2004, 19:49
Coconuts

Angry Moral Dilemma: What the Hell is going on in Ryanair?

I used to have great admiration for Mick O'Leary & thought an acquaintances decision not to fly with FR cause of the way they treat their staff was a load of old poppycock.

But this admiration for MOL is rapidly turning to dislike for his mgt methods & lack of people skills. Xmas seems to have been a major turning point within the company, he nearly worked a pilot friend of mine half to death so much so he was thankful when his time there was up, & I know this pilot to be a hardworking, decent horourable & highly experienced pilot.

Some of his pilots it appears have to sleep in cars there so broke before having to take controls of a jet & our lives, he makes his staff pay for everything & refuses them free water, coffee & tea on the aircraft & if reports are correct he doesn't even allow then to heat up their food in the microwave on the aircraft. What is all this bolloxology, to quote a word he penned & loves to use, about. It appears everyone but MOL & his henchmen are suffering because of his two rapid expansion & that the ledgers are not now showing such a healthy profit. While MOL lives in splendour he makes his staff live on crumbs & work their @sses off for a crust, he seems only to care about himself & the shareholders but treats his staff like slaves. There appears to be a culture of fear & bullying permeating right through the company.

The jist I get is that noone in the company likes him & that everyone would like to leave. He's now recruiting cheaper pilots from Poland & probably less experienced ones at that so the safety element is no doubt going to be gradually eroded with MOL's penny pinching too, I would imagine.

Question I'd like to ask is does anyone feel a moral dilemma flying FR & supporting MOL. Can customers really ignore their consciences anymore about how this company is run & the staff are being treated? What can pax do or we as powerless as the staff?

Coco