PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hows this for a cracked windscreen
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2004, 12:03
Menen

Way back in the days of De Havilland Vampire Mk 30 single seater jet fighters, a demo was needed of a specially built short bladed knife for use as a canopy breakout tool.

We chose the biggest meanest toughest pilot (Flight Lieutenant) on the squadron to bash his way out. We figured if he could not get out of the cockpit with the knife, then no one could.

He was a six footer with a fierce black moustache like Saddam H, and was skilled as a martial arts expert. The best orderly officer on the base - he could empty the Sergeants Mess at last drinks time faster than any hapless junior pilot officer like me.

He sat in a Vampire which had a condemned canopy (meaning it did not meet airworthiness scratched glass standards). We focused the cameras and when he was ready with gloves on and bone dome and dark glasses (he was a true fighter jock with a DFC) we gave him the nod to start striking upwards at the canopy with the knife.

Before doing so, he opened the canopy and called to the waiting throng of airmen and airwomen surrounding the Vampire, that he would first attempt to karate his way out. You know what I mean - the Bruce Willis stuff of gutteral yells and mincing movements with the black gloved gauntlett.

I say "mincing" in the kindest possible way, by the way - if you get my drift. The cameras rolled and the guy smashed the knife edge of his hand against the canopy. "OW" - that fu....ing hurt, he yelled - and we all adjourned for morning tea while he wrung his badly bruised hand in agony.

After tea he tried again - this time with the canopy breaker knife. With a series of terrifying bashes from inside the cockpit with the knife, our hero smashed the double sandwhich glass into bits and then hauled his way out of the cockpit. Time from first blow of the knife was 45 seconds to final exit.

The Air Force then equipped all Sabre fighters (the Vamps were on their way out to the melters by then) with these canopy breaking knives.

Months later, a Sabre had to force land and it caught fire as it ground to a stop wheels up. The electric canopy motor failed leaving the pilot literally in the hot seat with fire getting into the cockpit. He used the canopy breaker knife to bash his way out successfully. Nice to have a happy ending, isn't it?