PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2004, 17:52
John Purdey

CHINOOK

XM 147.

Many thanks for your post dated 5th., and apologies for not replying sooner.

You tell us that the evidence of unusual control movements in the final few seconds of flight could mean that the crew suddenly became aware of the high ground ahead of them, OR, it might mean the result of fighting against undemanded engine or control movements (I paraphrase, please excuse possible inexactitudes).

But what several contributers to this long-running discussion seem not yet to have hoisted in, is that the crew should not have put themselves in that situation so close to the hillside, whether it was a visability problem or a problem with the controls, with the top of the hills covered in cloud/mist/fog/ (take your pick).

I seem to recall saying this some months back, but: either the crew were in control of the aircraft as they pressed on towards the hills (which I repeat in those conditions they had no right to do), or you have to believe that the controls locked solid in all three axes, and the power controls failed, and the crew sat there helplessly, with no ability to affect events or to make an emergency transmission as the aircraft flew on into the ground.

Tell us which you prefer.

I am not being offensive, but my goodness the strange theories that have been floated makes one wonder about folks' comonsense.
With all possible good wishes, John Purdey.