PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225
Thread: EC225
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 15:32
JimL

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
But hasn't this been the most interesting discussion that we have had on PPRUNE for some time - the technical content has been excellent and, in view of its interactive nature (and the quality of protagonists), beats ends-up any article in an aviation magazine.

I for one wish it to continue until all the important elements have been aired; we still have not seen comparative examples of payload range or completed the discussion on offshore performance - and how it will be achieved.

Wouldn't we like to be enlightened on the (expected) provision of Category A procedures and find out whether, at last, we will get the total flexibility that will provide a continuum from helipad to clear area with variable Vtoss, configurable heights and distances.

HeliComparator and Nick have between them explored why the EC225 does not (and cannot) meet all of the requirements of the latest revision of FAR 29; but I for one would like to know what drove the decision for the size of the pop-out windows. I would also like to know why, if as HC says, there is an option for the reinforced floor and stroking seats, they have not been included in the EC 225 EASA TCDS (even as partial compliance). Will some operators not specify this option? Would that be acceptable to a regulator?

Also of interest to me (and I am sure the pilots of the North Sea and Canadian Eastern Seaboard) would be some detail on the ditching provision and what 'sea state' was applied to the testing regime; and if the helicopter cannot stay upright for the time it takes for the passengers to evacuate, will the evacuation be able to be completed in one breath-hold from the time that the helicopter inverts. Was there any testing of the evacuation procedures associated with the pop-out windows and can a large oil worker get out when wearing an integrated survival suit with a re-breather.

Of interest to the Norwegian pilots will be the sound levels in the cockpit and the comfort level in the Cabin. Have the vibration levels been reduced to an acceptable level and, whilst on the subject of vibration, will the Vibration Health Monitoring meet the requirements of the extant regulations.

If HeliComparator is, as he says, a North Sea pilot, where does he find the time to take part in this high energy, high technical level discussion; why is he conducting this examination and not a member of Eurocopter team? Does Sikorsky know (and appreciate) that Nick is worth 20% on their sales - is he adequately remunerated?