PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 14:45
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hour 3

Woke up this morning, and after a week of thunderstorms, was chuffed to see a perfect clear sky with not one knot of wind. Got to the airfield around 8:35 and booked in. My instructor was having a quick meeting with a fellow instructor so he said I could go through my checklist and do a quick external check (don’t worry, he done it himself also before the flight). So I got my high vis vest and off I went. Done the external checks, checked the fuel tanks, surface controls, undercarriage, flaps etc.

We then went back in then for the pre flight briefing. Now it is at this point that I realised I had been reading the wrong material too soon. I had previously done the Air Law exam so thought I would start on Navigation and Meteorology. The problem is, when he asked me if I had read up on climbs and descends (which was the schedule for today) I could do nothing but say no. He told me I should be reading through the syllabus as we go through it before each lesson, so that I at least have a basic understanding of the subject in hand. So at this point I have just finished reading the Met section of the AFE book. I am going to drop it here for now and start on flying training, reading the parts I will need for the next lesson. I have 18 months to do the exams in so not really in any great rush. I know I have to pass nav/met though before first cross country, but this will be a while off.

Now onto the flight. The pre flight checks are starting to sink in, I needed a quick reminder on the suction, the ammeter reading and the magneto check. All else was ok. I got to do most of the taxiing too, which is getting easier. Ok so all take off checks complete and we continue to roll down and take off. The plan of action for today was climbs and descents. We flew over the usual territory and began training. At this point it is worth mentioning that in the pre flight briefing, my instructor went through all the theory that I would need, and the actual procedures of climbing and descending.

I remember being in the bulldogs as a cadet and the pilot drilling into me “P-A-T”, Power-Attitude-Trim. I have always remembered this and we used this today. To climb, add full power, raise the nose to the correct attitude to maintain 70 knots. Instructor would cover up the speed indicator so that I didn’t rely on it too much and “chase the needle” as they say. So I gave it a go without verbal instruction……full power, raise nose, trim and wait. I found that that engine tone and reaction of controls would indicate the correct speed/attitude, and low and behold, when he removed his hand from over the air-speed indicator – bang on 70kts! Felt great! so when levelling off, I kept power full, lowered the nose to zero climb and waited for 90 kts, then reduce the power to around 2200 rpm (maybe a little more). It is at this point when the acronym becomes “A-P-T”. I am getting along fine with this and enjoying my success for the time being. Quite a few tries later we start to head back. I enjoy these lessons because I have got control for 95% of the flight, none of this “Here I will turn for you”. I always remember my driving instructor, he would hover over the brakes and actually use them with you as you were braking, pointless as you will never get used to the brakes!

Another very successful lesson, landing was very smooth. One thing I found interesting today was the way the stall indicator works – I have always wondered this. A tiny metal flap on the leading edge of the port wing which lifts up when the angle of attack increases – very, very basic but extremely important device – no rocket science here!

Next lesson is Sunday, but I think the wind will be picking up too much so I am anticipating a cancellation. More time to get started on the flying training book.

Best regards

Lee.

Footsie - I know what you mean about the flight sim - just cant get enough mate !!