PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 14:04
Footsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brilliant thread Mazzy.

I'm at Ravenair; just passed 45 hours and awaiting skill test. Went up for a couple of hours this morning and absolutely loved it, even though I made a total hash of my diversion. Had to keep flying lower and lower as the cloud base descended, and that was enough to throw my concentration. Being up there still gives me a huge buzz a year on, and I'm sad enough to get on FS2004 when I'm back on terra firma.

Whilst talking FS2004, I highly recommend the VFR photographic scenery. It really is good enough to practice nav flights, and if you link it with VFR terrain, then you can really clearly see the Beeston Hills, Helsby etc. This will help you when you start flying out of zone.

So much of your experience rings true with mine. First radio call is terrifying, but you soon get the hang of it. The guy who visits Ravenair to teach the R/T, and maybe Keenair as well, is a Manchester ATCO and really superb. Suggest you may want to do that course once you're regularly flying out of zone so you've heard MATZ penetration calls etc.

IMHO, the Pratt books are excellent, as long as you've got the Confuser - which is just essential. Doing the exams as you go, as you are, is the right way to do it - I did a load at the beginning and then left 3 until the end, which ended up getting in the way of the flying.

I know you're being diplomatic about your change of school, and totally respect that. I had some issues early on but a change to a new instructor, at my request, changed everything and I've nothing but praise for them now. As someone else says, they will be very picky over the weather you can fly in at the beginning, as smooth air with a clear horizon is essential. They do ease off as you get more experienced, as I describe above re. descending cloud base.

Liverpool is a superb airport to fly from. Excellent facilities, normally good weather, Class D discipline but uncontrolled beautiful areas all around, real feeling of sharing the skys with the big boys as you watch Easys and Ryanairs on long finals. Occasionally a bit busy, but early mornings are normally quiet.

Looking forward to hearing more.