PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF & degree (or not?)
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 12:04
joe2812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF & degree (or not?)

Im coming up to my second year at sixth form and have just begun the formal application process to join the RAF as a Pilot (well, i was going for sponsorship, now i dont know).

I always assumed i would be going to Uni to do my degree in Aerospace Engineering, but the guy i spoke to at my AFCO threw me a curveball when i told him i was going to Uni in 05 - he replied with 'Why?'.

I felt having a degree would mean i'd be 4 years more mature, further understanding of learning etc, but he said the RAF is losing 4 years service from me, which is fair enough, but i thought this was more beneficial?

Does the RAF want their crews straight out of college for that extra 4 years of service, or from Uni with a degree? If i take a gap year before Uni, or for some reason there is a delay after Uni to me getting a commission, i will be over the age requirement of 17-23 (i will be 24 by a few months).

Whilest im carrying on with Uni applications aswell as RAF ones so as not to get caught out, i have concerns over certain situations.

If i defer uni entry to follow the RAF path, fail for some reason and go to uni, ill be too old afterwards to try again

If i join up, get through, and do the RAF's Open University scheme alongside my flying training, will that be too much work as many have suggested?

Will i be disadvantaging (sp) myself by attending/not attending Uni?

At the end of the day, i want a degree if i don't get offered Pilot as its something to fall back on, but im torn on whether to go to Uni or not. It's a case of giving the RAF what they want, but giving myself the best opportunites.

Any advice to those in the same place, or slightly older and further on with their applications would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Joe