PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 6th Aug 2004, 11:44
flaps to 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVR

A well rounded individual is someone who realises that their not well rounded until you stop learning which is usually about 4.5secs before you pop your clogs.

Your comments are that of someone who really hasn't lived and uni is not a great "whole" educator when you consider that some who leave it cant even fill their car with petrol.

Im not having a go but from some of the comments made in reply to yours show that you have a lot to learn.

Some of the lads who went to my flying college with degrees strugled just as much as those without degrees or even "o" levels.

In my mind a dgree shows that you have "some" knowledge in a particular field ie a base from which to really learn.

If you can spend more time working in the real world and learn to deal with people of all sorts of back grounds and abilities, you will probably find this far more useful than the majority of your atpl studies when you make i to the RHS.

Uni makes you a much more rounded individual. I am much more of an appealing person on my CV now having done my degree and associated activities at uni than I was when I left college with 3 A-levels and a load of caps under my belt for the school football team.
Its the last bit that worries me.....Flying is all about TEAM WORK from the Captain to the despatchers to the Cabin crew and everyone else involved. A skill learned on those muddy fields in cr@p WX.

Dont be offended by the comments on this thread but learn from them,

Good Luck with the ATPLs and just keep remembering that it will all be worth it.