PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a market for the 380?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 10:54
PPRuNeUser0172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a demand for A380, errrm let me think, So you really think that Airbus would be spending billions on developing it if there wasn't. Your argument is polarised and cynical.

"Some HKG flights are not full" OK so thats one route you have used to completely shred the case for the A380 is it??? As people have already pointed out, at todays big airports slots are at a premium. If you can reduce the number of flights to a particular destination by increasing capacity then that is a good thing surely. A380 has an already healthy order book and it hasnt even flown, i noticed recently that Thia are the latest to place a large Airbus/Boeing widebody order, including A380.

The 747 got the same response when it was in its infancy, that did alright.

I am inclined to agree over the issue of the new layout of the aircraft. Yeah it looks nice to have a gym and a bar etc etc, however, seats mean profit so i wouldnt expect to see too many fitted out like that. After saying that, Virgin, the UK launch customer, is having issues with the cabin layout, and i think we can expect something pretty innovative. Should be interesting. I hardly think a few people walking around will adversely affect the cg, this already happens on 747's so come on!!!!

Also you are incorrect on your assumption on wingspan, the A380 is not stupidly large, it fits into an 80m2 box on the ground which makes it fully compliant with all major hubs. The issue of emergency egress has also been proved to work.

On your point about faster being better why did Boeing scrap their sonic cruiser idea. They were touting the speed not size issue and got egg on thier face. It would seem to me that Boeing have not responded well to the threat of A380. The project has been around for at least 10 years and Boeing already had a large aircraft they could modify more quickly than Airbus could build, flight test, certify a new one. The A380 will be a great success i am convinced.

You also mentioned something about smaller airlines doing better and that being the way forward?? BA seems to be doing pretty well to me since the change of power a few years ago, fleet rationalisation, pooling of assets, cutting costs. Horses for courses mate, small airlines were never going to buy A380. National flag carriers will see that the A380 will be a cash cow when deployed on the right routes.

Time will tell