PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do weekend Pilots persist in making a million radio calls
Old 6th Aug 2004, 05:26
Dave Incognito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why is it that when a group of private aircraft fly around, they generally fly within a mile or so of each other? Just this week we had a group of 6 or 8 private aeroplanes all heading down to the bungles from Kununurra. After deciding to depart at 9am (along with 12+ local aeroplanes departing on their scheduled 9am flights ), they all take off one after the other in quick succession. Sure enough with a mix of around 20 (I stopped counting at 15) local/visiting planes in the MBZ all heading in the same direction at different speeds, it all turns messy.

This group then spends a huge portion of their time talking to each other over the radio and looking out for each other while all the amazing scenery is passing away underneath them. Why not just space everyone out by 5 or 10 minutes so you can relax a bit more, take in all the landscape around you and give your PTT a holiday?

This happens every time a group passes through here. They all take off together and then clog the radio frequency because they are worried about being so close to each other. I just don’t understand the rational behind it. Maybe someone that participates in these group fly away activities can explain?

victor two,

Yes some of the locals can spew out a lot of dribble on the radio around the bungles such as pointless passing calls etc etc. I’m not condoning that at all. However, if you don’t want to listen to chatter on other people’s company frequencies then don’t tune into them…..