PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin to start Perth - Broome
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2004, 02:44
Ralph the Bong

Hmmm... I would say that VB are not intent on operating PH-BRM in order to make money; they probably wont. This will make 3 Jet carriers servicing a town of, what, 8,000 people.

The real intent here is to discourage investors from the Skywest float. That fact that Skywest has a High Capacity jet AOC means that this company has the potential to evolve as a long term rival on other routes. It is this potential for Skywests' growth that VB intends to nip in the bud. QF must be overjoyed to look on and see VB spend their own money to do the dirty work.

To the people and businesses of Broome this move by VB is hardly cause for celebration. It is impossible that the market can sustain 3 jet carriers on this thin route characterised by low yeilds. It would be sad if the small, regional carrier withdraws from the route and the current VB woes cause them to do likewise. This senario would leave 1 operator on PH-BRM and would be a significant blow to the 'cowboy' tourism operators in the Kimberly( I had a holiday in the area some years ago and John Cleese could do a 'Fawlty Towers' on Broome, believe me!). Some of these clowns probably think that 3 operators is a good idea!

Such action by VB is what chararterises a pathalogical company; they move into a market knowing that they wont make money just to stuff the plans of a potential rival, then pull out to stop the loss that they are making, thus leaving the residents of BRM with a monopoly carrier and higher costs.

( I went on an 'Honest Sam's' 4 wheel drive tour and we got bogged in a dune. The owner/driver didn't even have a shovel to dig us out, his radio didn't work if we needed to call for help.. When I suggested that he let some of the air out of the tires to about 10psi, he said to me "What good will that do?" What a F$%g idiot..)

Last edited by Ralph the Bong; 6th Aug 2004 at 02:59.