PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Instructor & related FI questions
Old 5th Aug 2004, 15:35
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-STRING,

When I decided to get a CPL and FI rating, everyone seemed really surprised. I thought that was because of my age; I mean, it did seem kinda silly in the normal way one looks at things to be spending all that money at that age. I then discovered that my age wasn't even an issue; they were surprised because I'm female! There were quite a few guys in their late 30s, 40s, and older considering it, and no-one turned a hair. So I don't think it'll be an issue.

Timescale...
I didn't hurry that much, because I planned for it all to be fun, and I also had to earn a living at the same time. OTOH, I didn't think I should waste too many years. So...
Sept 1999 - June 2000 PPL(H)
Hourbuilding, aka fun flying, until Feb 2001
Feb 2001 - June 2001 CPL(H) ground exams by self study and at Bristol Ground School
More fun flying...er, I mean hour building.
Sept - Nov 2001 CPL(H) flying course
2002 - more hour building, mainly on two trips, to US and Russia
Jan/Feb 2003 - FI course, finally passing it in April...long story.

I found everything enjoyable but reasonably challenging, except the CPL ground exams which were a huge amount of work and at least 50% boring, and the FI course which was the hardest thing I've ever done. There are threads about a lot of it; they might still be around if you do a search. After the FI course, I decided to stop living my life on PPRuNe - no more diary-type threads!