PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 5th Aug 2004, 13:41
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is true that having a university degree is sometimes used in the 'culling' process when there have been far more applicants than jobs. But then, so too is whether the applicant went to the trouble to include a photograph of him/herself on the application form. If the airlines in your part of the world happen to require a degree, then so be it, you have little choice.

In my own case, I started flying in my teens with only a high school education background, getting the jump on most others in the process. By the time I was DVR6K's age, I was a pilot of 6 years, an airline pilot of 3 years, a father, and spare time studying Aeronautical Engineering, Science, Computer programming and Psychology. The Aeronautical Engineering, Science, and Computer Programming were dead easy because I was then able to appreciate their practical applications. These, I have used VERY productively, but only after I had become a 'well rounded' pilot. The Psychology was of value later when in training and management roles, especially in realising that any 23 year old doesn't have the faintest idea of what 'well rounded' is, or capable of reasonable self-assessment.

Once in a while I get a new entry pilot to the airline with a string of previous university degrees, and look forward to some lively conversation with him/her. The inevitable response is Huh?

I would rather fly with a professional pilot than a professional student any day.

I guess that doesn't make me very well rounded DVR6K.