PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS-III mounting in rental Warriors?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2004, 12:14
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS-III mounting in rental Warriors?

Hi all, I know the subject is as dull as ditch-water, so I won't be surprised if many of you skip straight past this, but here goes anyway:

I'd be interested if how GPS-III users mount the thing in the aircraft? I fly PA28 types and basically rely on the velcro-on-the-dashboard method. This seems to give the antenna a good view of the sky, but there are some downsides...

In a Warrior, if you mount a GPS-III directly in front of you on the dash with velcro, it tilts over backards and is hard to see. Also, not all rental aircraft have velcro in them already to fix to, and some have it but the "wrong" way around. Not all clubs appreciate renters adding more velcro srtips to the dash either! I have added a piece to an aircraft I fly regularly and have found the best place is on the RHS of the dash (P2 side), with the antenna touching the glass, mounted at a side-ways angle so that I can see it. Seems to work, but not ideal.

I have thought about maybe a yoke mount kit: how portable are these between rental aircraft? Does the antenna get a good enough look at the sky? Do you need an external antenna? Is this practical (too many leads in the cockpit)? Is it worth the expense of these accessories? Are there alternative solutions I should consider?

Cheers!

Andy