PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 5th Aug 2004, 12:12
Penworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a topic that always seems to cause quite a lot of controversy and seems clearly divided between those who went to uni and those who dont. Having said that, I did a 5 year degree (in Scotland) but don't feel it necessarily was a good move. Sure, you get to have a great time, do lots of fun activities, and end up with a qualification which you can be proud of, but if I had my time again I would maybe have done a 3 year degree, or a 2 year college course. Although it has delayed my training, meaning that I'm only getting into it now at 25, as a result of my degree I was able to get a decent paid job and can almost afford to do my training without getting into any debt. On top of this I now have 3 years experience as an engineer so God forbid I lost my medical or something I could at least get back into a decent job.

My personal opinion is that if there's something you really would like to do at uni, maybe go for a 3 year course, that way you're still young when you graduate and have time to get qualified still in your early twenties. Failing that learn a trade or something while saving towards your training. The one thing I definitely wouldn't do would be to leave school and go straight into full time training. You'd have no life experience (gained through working or uni/working), no backup plan, and (presumably) a huge amount of debt.

Just my thoughts

PW