PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed and ISA in a slip
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2004, 14:46
Classic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one to consider sideslipping a bad idea? Deliberately increasing the stalling speed, destabilising the aircraft and taking off all your power producing errors in the ASI and altimeter and a high RoD close to the ground all seem to cry out NO to me!

The aim of every approach should be to put the aircraft in the right place at the right speed, correctly configured and with some power on. If you don't have those then you should Go Around!

It seems to me (imho) a little lazy when people get into the habit of putting themselves high and then gliding and/or sideslipping the last few hundred feet. It's rather like taking the car out of gear a few hundred metres from your parking spot and then coasting in; it's possible, but not very good practice, and in an aircraft it's creating extra risk!

I agree it is a skill which can be introduced with experience to possibly help out in the event of an actual forced landing, but even here, with plenty of practice of PFLs I think it unnecessary.

I'm not suggesting they should be banned or anything, but an inexperienced PPL or student might read through this thread and think they are an acceptable and regular method of putting an aircraft on the ground. Hopefully my comments might put sidelipping into perspective and start some debate on the negative aspects of the issue.

Unless, of course, you think different....