PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA drug and alcohol tests begin
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2004, 13:56
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

No one is saying crews don't have a drink in the bar when off duty. It's your inference that almost all UK crews that you see are drinking heavily, well into the 8 or 12 hours before their next report for duty that I and many of us have a problem with. You are like those 87.3% of people who invent statistics off the top of their head. Your generalising about the habits of UK aircrew that you allege you have observed are unfounded. I doubt you could swear under oath and identify one person who you had observed and truthfully say that you were, without any doubt, sure, that that person had consumed alcohol in breach of his companies Ops Manual rules AND that that person had reported for duty with an alcohol level that was above the legal limit AND then went on to operate an aircraft. If you could, and I'm of no doubt that you are going to claim that you can, then you are no worse than the same person you are accusing of being in breach of those regulations and laws.

To take this further, I would claim that you are generalising, as has been pointed out, just observing the fact that there are two guys and four ladies sitting together at a table which you claim to be able to overhear all their conversation about their early start the next morning and their bitching about their roster is just fabrication on your part. Your assumption that short haul EU crews do late arrival/split duty/early start already shows you up to have minimal idea about rostering practices. As a freight loadmaster, and being free from the incumberence of FTL's, you have even less idea about pax operations.

At the end of the day, by your own admission, you decided you didn't want to become a pilot even though you could have easily done the ATPL exams. You decided that being a freightmaster was a much more rewarding career, no doubt because it kept you close to those of us at the sharp end. Yet, here we have you, with an admission in your profile that beer plays a big part in your life, pontificating and making unsubstantiated allegations against a whole segment of our profession that we take very little care of the rules when it comes to alcohol. You claim to be able to spot a crew at twenty paces who are breaching all the rules.

If you are so damned clever and sure of yourself then why haven't you done anything about it except cling on to our coattails here on PPrune and repeatedly spouted unsubstantiated rubbish. I put it to you that you are just a frustrated wannabe and are trying to make yourself sound more important than your job specification allows you to. May I suggest PFRuNe. I'm sure with your ESP you can figure out what the F stands for.