PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA drug and alcohol tests begin
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2004, 12:08
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

However, if I'm closing L1 at 2300 and have to report back again at 0600, then the landing beer is off. However, few crew to my knowledge work from 0600 to 2300, 6 days in a row.
I'm sorry FFF but unless you're working for some third world, fourth rate cowboy operator, clocking off duty at 2300 and back on at 0600 is not possible. Of course, if you are then you are operating illegally... oops, I forgot, you're not actually technical flight crew are you!

Also, your statement:
Not going on anymore, you say? 1 week ago in Copenhagen. 2 weeks ago in Bahrain. 1 month ago in East Midlands. 2 months ago in Istanbul. Ehh, okay then, I suppose the crews in question entered and exited the hotels in fake (airline names intentionally deleted) uniforms just to raise a stirr then?
leads me to believe that you are exaggerating, unless of course you are so familiar with every airlines schedules and rostering practices, together with a photographic memory of faces. Of course, you were around to watch all these crews arrive at the hotel reception, memorised their faces and which airline they were from whilst consulting your laptop for their rosters and when they were scheduled to next report for duty.

After your several hours watching reception you then come down to the hotel bar, the only place ALL those crews whose faces you had memorised and are now wearing civvies come to drink excessively. You now observe them and note how many drinks and what the content of each drink contains, especially the alcohol by volume % so that you can calculate their future blood alcohol level, and hang around until they all retire, probably in your mind to a private room party where drugs can be added to the list of recreational substances they are consuming. Of course, maybe you just went to bed early and assumed that they were all still drinking excessively before retiring for a 2 hour nap before reporting for duty at O'VeryEarly O'Clock?

If you were so concerned at this level of abuse of the rules and the subsequent endangerment of so many innocent lives then why, as a fellow professional, didn't you do something about it? After all, we are all part of the same team aren't we? Perhaps not. I have been flying professionally for over 10 years now and the number of times I have stayed in hotels downroute on short, medium and long haul trips allows me to make the observation that your allegations are fantasy baseless. Even at the more popular crew hotels, there is no way you can know who is on what duty and from what airline. My points above about your uncanny ability to identify the numbers of crew you are so confident are abusing the rules prove to me, and no doubt most of the others who know otherwise, that you are full of hype and fantasy.

Yes, your job may involve an aspect of aircraft safety in as much as you have to supervise the correct loading of which gross errors can affect safety, but please, don't even begin to compare your skills to ours when it comes to our ability to to make serious mistakes. When our mistakes happen, our backside is usually on the line too. Who do you think is the first to arrive at the scene of an airline accident? Precisely because of this, as a group, aircrew tend to be much more aware of the problems and regulate their lives accordingly. The very few exceptions to this, when they make it into the media, are still exceptions even though the media like to use their literary licence to make out that 'over the limit' is actually 'staggering and boozy'. FFF, your allegations are on a par with the media and based on my observations of your post and my personal experience as a professional pilot, you sir, are full of bovine manure!