PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA drug and alcohol tests begin
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2004, 11:23
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notso

I'll pretend that I didn't understand the allegations you made, owing to my poor understanding of your mother tongue. Suffice to say that professionally I'm wearing more hats than I care to count, one of them being a flying loadmaster. Thus, one could postulate that I am indeed part of the crew, and that is where my interest lies. Or is it, in your book, only pilots that should take an interest in what goes on in the cockpit; cabin crew sticking to the cabin; engineers sticking to the oil can and so forth? Quite contrary to the CRM courses I've gone through, but never mind. That is my angle, Notso, the fact that from my point of view we're in this thing together. If this thread drifts in the way of how some ground handlers behave themselves, stand-by for a really flaming pen from this here poster! Alas, we are currently discussing flight deck crew and drinking. My observations are that UK crews, more than others, like to indulge a bit more than most and that they don't always look at their watches before calling it quits. If that runs opposite to your experience, then so be it. We all have a right to our own opinions, and I shall respect yours to the best of my abilities. Perhaps we should just agree on disagreeing.

Like I said previously, I don't have a problem with a landing beer or a glass of wine for dinner, I actually throughly enjoy it - fantastic way to wind down, have a bit of a banter and a laugh. Not always possible though, given the roster, and re-reading my contract it doesn't say anything about a right to a landing beer.

The "anything involving beer" statement was meant as an attempt at humour. I appreciate that in this context it could be misconstrued, but I hope this explanation will provide you with some sort of clarity.

PS
The airline I work for is 99% multi-sector short-haul. Please get off the high horse will you? If your roster doesn't allow you to legally have a landing beer, then either change the roster (fat chance), forego the beer or change company.

PPS
And not a single "mate"!

PPSS
The only problem I have with pilots is that there's not enough of them to buy the beers.