PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Evac at BKK today
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2004, 08:42
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's at full chat TOGA and there's a bird strike
Is that really enough reason for a full scale evacuation?
I am not sure if you have ever been near an airliner cockpit. However, there is not a pretty little light comes on saying "birdstrike"... He would not have aborted takeoff, and certainly not evacuated, for a "birdstrike". In fact the actual act of the bird would probably not have been even felt at takeoff roll speeds.

However, if the birdstrike now led to an engine problem, then this may well lead to an RTO. That engine problem may take the form of a surge (which probably would be heard), and/or indication problems. The SOP for an engine problem prior to V1 is to ... Stop.

Now depending on the situation when the aircraft stops an evacuation may or may not be needed. If the engine problem led to a fire indication, then an evacuation becomes more probable. It is possible the birdstrike led to a surge, which produced visible flames from the engine that the crew's attention was drawn to by ATC / other crews.

As ever, the crew are being judged on the flimsiest evidence, and no real facts, by the thread initiator.

If you want my/my companies general rules:
RTO for engine problem requires 2 pieces of information - at least one inside (the bang and swing may be tyres, not engine, and best to continue...) i.e. an instrument or warning indication.
Evac would be for aircraft off paved surface at anything above trivial speed, or a confirmed, unextinquished fire.

Recent evacs also came from fire crews requesting an evacuation for fairly trivial reasons (minor fuel leak, smoke emanating from inside a shutdown engine). However, that's their call and I doubt most would question their judgement / advice / request.

NoD