PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 13:57
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By taking yourself out for 3 years to do a degree, you may miss your chance for early flight training and employment. By doing the degree, you will have a millstone around your neck of 3 years out of the airline system and the loss of seniority as a result. If you avoid the degree and then don't make a go of it in aviation, then it's probably too late- youa re so deep in debt that a degree is out of the question. It's a real 'Sophie's Choice'!
As far as having a degree affects your employability as a pilot......the 3 year effort to get one in no way improves your job prospects much.....some would say if at all.
I know people in my airline who did a degree before flying. All their careers they have laboured under people who didn't, and ended up far ahead of them on the seniority stakes.. It can affect your time to command, constantly affect yor bidding position on the seniority list for changing fleets and doing trips (for bid systems). On balance I would say never delay entering aviation for a degree unless times are really bad.