PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA drug and alcohol tests begin
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 13:30
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notso,

I suppose it could be blamed on the cultural differences between the UK and Scandinavia, but I know a handful of pilots who occasionally inhale what Clinton didn't. I know quite a few engineers who, occasionally and generally in week-ends, sniff what Maradona has been submitted to hospital for over doing. I know ground handlers that'll do both while on duty.

On the other hand, I've witnessed first hand how some UK crews (to be read as crews from the UK flying UK registered aeroplanes) handle themselves in the bar at the downroute hotel, and that has happened quite a few times too. I am not in any way, shape or form indicating that there is a drinking culture among all UK crews, just that I've observed UK crews keeping the bartender busy till rather later, when they have to report for duty next morning. Neither am I saying they drink themselves blind, only that they certainly didn't obey the 24 hour or even the 8 hour rule about distance from bottle to throttle. To my mind, adults should certainly be allowed a beer/glass of wine or two with dinner, on top of the mandatory landing beer. But, that's it if you're flying early next morning. Sitting in the bar till it closes at 0200 with a 0600 reporting time is not wise in the first place, and having a few beers to go with it even less.

I do have one question, if you please: Could UK crews be subjected to random tests down route or only on British soil?

I am not trying to start a flame war, and if anyone takes personal offence to this post please take it for what it is, honest observations. However, I do belive that if we in the industry are not open about these problems ourselves, then some day someone will thrust very restrictive legislation upon us, and I for one would not like to contemplate the idea of being "illegal" over a landing beer, with 12 hours to go before chocks are off again.

I belive a landing beer after a long day prowling the skies is a divine right for anyone working as crew, and I would be gutted if the few who for some reason cannot limit themselves to one or two should ruin it for the many who can.